Terms of Service
A Quiz To Test Your Knowledge On Monarch Butterflies
Take this quiz to find out how much you know about Monarch Butterflies. Some of the most beautiful and interesting insects are the Monarch butterflies. How much do you know about them and their journey from caterpillar to butterfly? Answer the following multiple choice questions and then see your score. Better yet, stump your family and friends by asking them to take this quiz.
1. Butterflies are in the insect order Lepidoptera. What does that name mean?
2. Why are monarch butterflies orange and black?
Because their migration occurs around Halloween
These colors warn predators that they are toxic
To blend with their natural habitat
None of the above
3. About how many eggs does a female monarch butterfly lay over her lifetime?
4. What is the only plant that monarch butterfly caterpillars feed on?
5. Monarch butterflies are not found on the continent of _____________.
6. In which year did scientists first discover the monarch’s winter migration destination in the highlands of Central Mexico?
7. What is the average distance most monarch butterflies travel when migrating from the United States south to Mexico?
500 to 1,000 miles
1,000 to 2,000 miles
2,000 to 3,000 miles
3,000 to 4,000 miles
8. What is the average flight speed of a migrating monarch?
2 miles per hour
5 miles per hour
7 miles per hour
10 miles per hour
9. Which of the following do scientists believe monarch butterflies use for navigation during migration?
All of the above
10. Loss of habitat in Mexico for monarch butterfly colonies has decreased by ________ percent.
11. How much food does the average monarch butterfly eat while overwintering in Central Mexico?
0 grams per day
0.5 grams per day
1 grams per day
7 grams per day
12. Monarch butterflies use the poison from milkweed plants as a defense against predators.
13. How many generations of monarchs does it take to get from their overwintering site to their northern-most breeding ground each season?
5 or more generations
14. What is the minimum temperature that enables a monarch butterfly to be able to fly?
15. What color is the monarch butterfly egg?
16. Monarch butterfly vision does not allow them have ____________.
See polarized light