A Quiz To Test Your Knowledge On Flower Nectar
Plants had to solve a problem: they needed to find ways to spread their genetic material. Flying
pollinators, insects, birds, and bats — were nature's solution. Nectar is made as a reward
for pollinators. Answer the following multiple choice questions and then see your score. Better
yet, stump your family and friends by asking them to take this quiz.
1. Nectar is a sweet viscous secretion from the glands, in plant blossoms, stems, and leaves.
2. Plants and animals exist in a relationship in which each population consumes a
resource produced by the other population (nectar and pollination) This is called
3. Quantity of nector produced by a plant can vary by _____________.
4. Nector is produced in a gland in the flower called a nectary.
5. Nector that is produced elsewhere in the plant, NOT in the flower, are called __________.
6. The bees climb onto or into the flower and suck up the nectar with their mandibles.
7. Hummingbirds drink nectar using proboscis that are so long that, when
retracted, they coil up inside the birds' heads, around their skulls and eyes.
8. Butterflies use their feet to taste nectar.
9. Nectaries are usually located at the _________________
10. "Nectar Robbers" bypass the sexual organs of the flowers to obtain nectar,
often by penetrating the outside of the flower rather than entering it..