A Quiz To Test Your Knowledge On Soil
Soil carries out a range of functions and services without which human life would not be possible.
It provides an environment for plants to grow in, by anchoring roots and storing nutrients.
Answer the following multiple choice questions about soil and then see your score. Better
yet, stump your family and friends by asking them to take this quiz.
1. What is soil made of?
2. What important soil measurement determines how much water it can hold?
3. What is another name for the layers of soil?
4. What is the solid mass of rock below soil called?
5. What layer is the primary layer of soil where plants and animals live?
6. What layer is also called the humus layer and is made up of plant remains like leaves and twigs?
7. What layer is called the 'C' horizon and is made up mostly of rocks?
8. Soil can be over-farmed to where crops can no longer grow in it.
9. Which of the following is an example of sediment?
10. The process by which minerals move down through soil is called leaching.
11. Acid rain is classified as which type of weathering?
12. From top to bottom, what are the layers of soil?
13. Humus is made up of decayed plants and animals.
14. Soil is formed by the breaking up of rocks into tiny pieces, which is called
weathering. What are three things that can cause this weathering?
15. Which layer of soil has the most influence on the type of soil it is?
16. From which layer of soil do plants get their nutrients?