Terms of Service
A Quiz To Test Your Native Turtle Knowledge
Take this quiz to find out how much you know about the Wisconsin's native turtles. Turtles are among the most recognizable and iconic of animals. Any animal with a shell and a backbone is a turtle whether they are called turtles, tortoises, or terrapins. In fact, terrapin is an Algonquian name for turtle. Can you answer the following multiple choice questions about the native turtles? Complete the quiz and then see your score. Better yet, stump your family and friends by asking them to take this quiz.
1. About how many bones does my shell have?
2. What is the top part of a turtle called?
3. What is the bottom part of a turtle called?
4. Turtles can see at least one color better than human.
5. Turtles can see clearly underwater because they have ____________.
6. Turtles have an outer ear similar to humans.
7. Turtles have scent organs under their chins called _________.
8. Female turtles have the ability to store sperm in their bodies which can be used for multiple clutches of eggs.
9. Turtles are endotherms — they can maintain a constant body temperature independent of the environment
10. Which of the following is NOT true about how turtles survive the winter underwater buried in pond mud?
They slow their metabolism
They uptake oxygen from the pond water by moving it across body surfaces
They breathe through their butts
They allow their body temperature to drop below freezing
11. Most turtles are _____________.
12. A turtle's shell is a modified rib cage.
13. Turtles give birth to live young.
14. Turtles belong to the classification _____________.
15. Turtle feet are NOT webbed.
16. Turtles don’t have teeth but their jaws and beaks serve a replacement.