Skip Navigation Links
Quiz: Do You Know Your Roots?
1. A plant with a taproot _____________.
Has only secondary roots
Has many small, branching roots and no main root.
Grows deeply and can access water sources far under the ground.
Topples over easily.
2. __________ help the plant efficiently absorb water and minerals.
3. Roots grow down instead of up because _____________.
Of gravity-sensing cells in their root cap.
They have meristems, and the stems do not.
They are repelled by air.
All of the above
4. Which of the follow is NOT true about mycorrhizzae
They provide sugar to plant roots.
Surounds the outside of roots.
They exist as microscopic threads called hyphae.
Mycorrhizae is a fungus.
5. Which of the following is NOT a function of the root cap..
Cover and protect the cells at the end of the root
Secretes a lubricant that enables better movement through the soil
Contains statocytes, which are specialized cells that help the plant to sense gravity
Stabilize the soil
6. Root hairs are used for storage of the carbohydrate products of photosynthesis
7. Aerial roots grow from root tissue and may or may not be submerged in the soil.
8. The two main functions of roots are to deliver water and nutrients to the plant or tree and provide an anchor that keeps the plant or tree
9. Root uptake is the process plants use to move nutrients from the leaves to the roots.
10. Phloem is responsible for transporting water produced from photosynthesis from leaves to roots
11. The tip of the root is called _____________.
12. Where does most of a root's growth occur?
In the meristem tissue
In the root cap
In the vascular cylindar
In the root hairs
13. Which of the following is NOT true about the relationship between the roots of a plant and fungi
The fungi are larger than any root hair and therefore are much more efficient at absorbing nutrients
Fungi help to provide the plant with an increased supply of nutrients.
Fungi help to provide the plant with an increased supply of water
The plant supplies the fungi with a constant source of sugars
14. Edible vegetables such as potatoes and carrots are acually roots.
15. Succulent is aplant with fleshy, thick tissues adapted to water storage.
16. The acidity and alkalinity levels in the soil dictate which elements are available to hungry plant roots.
© All site content and images.